TEMPO.CO, Jakarta – Rescue teams searching for survivors in the rubble of a collapsed building in Amman, Jordan, found nine people dead in the second day of the search, authorities said Wednesday.
At least 25 people were inside a residential building in Webbdeh district when the old building collapsed on Tuesday. Civil defense officials worked through the night to remove pieces of the concrete roof and sift through debris to search for victims.
So far, around 12 people have been found alive, some of them seriously injured, hospital sources said. The last survivor rescued from the rubble was a five-month-old baby whose condition was stable, hospital sources said.
Earlier, the Jordanian government believed at least 10 people were still trapped in the rubble and some may be alive.
Civil Defense chief Hatem Jaber told the media that search and rescue operations would continue until no more survivors were expected to be found. He added that more than 250 officers were involved in the rescue effort, in addition to drones and police dogs.
Prime Minister Bishar Al Khasawneh ordered an investigation and officials blamed the building’s damaged condition.
Jordanian prosecutors opened a criminal case against a contractor who had been excavating the building for several days before the collapse. One of the building owners has also been investigated.
Also Read: 5 killed in building collapse in Jordan